The Canadian Construction Association has begun a campaign advocating for the federal government to create an Emergency COVID-19 Construction Cost Reimbursement Program.
This program would see the federal government reimburse contractors for costs associated with COVID-19 on federally funded construction projects. These costs include:
a. Additional health & safety costs;
b. Site security and maintenance costs;
c. General conditions;
d. Extra insurance and bonding costs;
e. Demobilization costs for the prime contractor, including demobilization costs paid by a prime contractor to its subcontractors, suppliers and manufacturers;
f. Costs incurred to maintain reasonable delivery dates for project materials and equipment, including cost premium for alternatively sourced material due to supply chain interruptions;
g. Additional cost to make up lost and reduced productivity related, for example, to time devoted to cleaning and protective activities, compliance activities and briefings, and reduced labour productivity due to distancing and related measures;
h. Extended project and site rentals;
i. Project-related overhead costs;
j. Reasonable remobilization costs; and
k. Other reasonable COVID-19 related costs
CCA is asking members to write their Member of Parliament requesting action on this file. They have made it very easy to do so - all you need to do is click this link and fill out your name and email address.
April 9, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
FREE WEBINAR: How to Work from home and thrive in a world with COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has thrust many of us into a world of uncertainty and forced us to adapt and navigate our personal and professional lives. If you are one of the many that have moved your office into your home, you have entered a new world of balancing personal and professional space while trying to strive for productivity. This is especially hard when there is work to do, a family to attend to, lack of structure and a whole lot of uncertainty.
In order to adapt your daily routines to meet the needs of your job and family it takes intention, focus and determination. This one-hour webinar is designed to provide strategies and tactics to help people find what might work best for them and how to implement to not only survive but thrive through these challenging times.
More Hand Sanitizer coming this week
After selling out of 800 bottles of hand sanitizer in less that 10 minutes last week, we have another shipment coming this week.
Since we're expecting tremendous demand once again, we have the following restriction in place:
1) We're only selling to WCA Members
2) We're only selling ten bottles at a time to any one company
3) We'll be reaching out directly to companies who missed out last time and expressed to us an interest in purchasing before opening this order up to everyone else
Since we're only selling to members, you'll need to be logged in to access the order form. If you don't have an account, click here for instructions on activating one.
CERB Applications Open Now
The Canada Emergency Response Benefit portal opened for applications yesterday at 5:00 a.m. Central time. Unsure if you're eligible, or how to apply? Here's what you need to know:
The CERB is available to workers who:
- Live in Canada and are at least 15 years old
- Have stopped working because of COVID-19 and have not voluntarily quit their job or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits
- Had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
- Are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment or self-employment income.
If you've already applied for EI there's no need to re-apply; you'll automatically be switched over to the CERB.
The government is also asking that people stagger the days they apply for the CERB to prevent CRA from being overwhelmed. Here’s their preferred schedule, starting on April 6:
- Born in January, February, March: Apply on Mondays
- Born in April, May, June: Apply on Tuesdays
- Born in July, August, September: Apply on Wednesdays
- Born in October, November, December: Apply on Thursdays
- All are welcome to apply on Friday, Saturday or Sunday